Monday, September 16, 2013

Nutty for Moo-Nuts

MooLicious owner, Joe Deedy,
pictured with an ice cream fritter.
With all of the food options at The Big E, it can be extremely challenging to decide what to eat. But more importantly – what to eat first. I go through this struggle every time I walk out onto the fairgrounds. We all have our regular choices. Mine include Jack’s Fries, pulled pork from the Ultimate BBQ, Blueberry or Apple Pie from New Hampshire and Vermont, a White Hut hot dog and to top it all off, a milkshake from the 4-H Milk Booth. Sometimes I’ll even repeatedly sneak in line for kettle corn samples.

My food choices are so methodical that I rarely branch out and try something new in fear of getting too full for my usual favorites. To my great surprise, I just added another – Moo-Nuts.

Amongst the sea of food vendors, 95 to be exact, sits the MooLicious Pie Shack. MooLicious is all new this year, selling pie, ice cream, apple fritters stuffed with ice cream and Moo-Nuts.

Moo-Nuts you ask? Why they are a delectable glazed donut filled with soft serve ice cream topped with your choice of sweets! Being a peanut butter addict, owner Joe Deedy whipped me up a Moo-Nut with crushed peanut buttercups and peanut butter sauce. Saying it was phenomenal would be an understatement. The fritters were top notch as well!

While this Fair season marked my first experience having an ice cream fritter and Moo-Nut, my relationship with MooLicious goes back a lot further. MooLicious’s off-season location just so happens to be in my hometown of Southwick, Mass.

Before MooLicious opened in 2007, the Summer House was the “go to” place in Southwick for ice cream. Now, I think it’s fair to say that MooLicious has changed the game and successfully established themselves in the heart of our community. The first time I visited MooLicious was the day I got my license. Needless to say, I have made countless trips back ever since.

For the next 15 days, their permanent home is closed and you can only get your MooLicious fix here at The Big E. Stop by for one of their delicious concoctions or sink your fork into a slice of their world class pies: peach, blueberry, apple, pumpkin or pumpkin turtle. Order a slice plain or eat it a la mode!
Soft-serve twist Moo-Nut with crushed Heath Bar,
peanut butter and caramel sauce.


Moo-Nuts have definitely cemented themselves into The Big E food hall of fame sharing the ranks with the Craz-E Burger, Hot Diggid-E Dog, chocolate covered bacon and fried Oreos. Being creative is a requirement to be a Big E food vendor and these guys definitely pass the test. Do yourself a favor and add Moo-Nuts to your Fair food list and satisfy your sweet tooth.

1 comment:

Mx 338 said...

Great food and nice people doing good in town..best of luck at the fair...